Monday, October 10, 2011

Melancholy & Renaissance

Currently, in one of my classes, we (the students in the class) were meant to draw a small doodle to commemorate the tenth year since The Twin Towers were reduced to rubble. Now this was a project that I thought quite long and hard about, considering the fact that this scribbler basically does cartoons and other such things. When trying to find an idea, I was looking through some old political cartoons, primarily drawn by Thomas Nast, James Montgomery Flagg, and other artists. When I found Flagg's painting of Uncle Sam in the iconic recruitment poster with the words "WE WANT YOU FOR THE US ARMY". Then I had sort of an idea of two different drawings. The first one was the three personifications of the United States: Uncle Sam, Colombia, and Brother Jonathan. The three personifications were drawn to look very haggard and weathered with the silhouette of the twin towers underneath them. Now, like all personifications of various countries, all three of these characters possess three definite colors: red, white and blue. So, basically and obviously, I only worked with those colors, with the rest of it (including the silhouette) was in black and white. I achieved this through the use of red, blue, and black waterproof ink that I had purchased, completely by coincidence, some months prior to the assignment. Basically, that was the first drawing.
The one that is presented before you, dear reader, was my second idea. It entirely in black and white with a weathered Uncle Sam rolling up his sleeves and brandishing a hammer (a badly drawn hammer). This was basically more of a cartoon and very much in my element than the previous drawing. The reason why it is in black and white, however, was because the teacher had told us later, after I had completed the first colored picture, that the entire thing was going to be in black and white rather than in color; so, I attempted to complete that bit of the assignment, a vain attempt to even the scales in my favor. The picture basically symbolizes how the United States has sort of carried on from the attack, even though we emerged thoroughly battered and bruised, we carried on and rebuilt ourselves, basically. This drawing was done with black waterproof ink and a pencil to shade in some particular parts in the drawing.
Right-o, until next time, keep a sharp eye out for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment