Friday, September 9, 2011

A Mere Piece of Golden Diction

Here is one of my favorite poems that is titled "Ode" by the Irish poet Arthur O'Shaughnessy. It is one of my favorites because it reminds me of a show that I watched as a kid, called The Storyteller, which starred the brilliant John Hurt & Michael Gambon in two grand seasons. In particular, it reminded me of a small part in the episode titled "A Story Short" and when a King is asking the Storyteller (John Hurt) of his occupation he responds thus:
"I am a teller of stories. A weaver of dreams. I can dance, sing, and, in the right weather, I can stand on my head. I know seven words in Latin and a little magic trick or two. I know the proper way to greet a dragon. I can play dirty, but not fair...I am not domestic, I am a luxury and in that sense, necessary."
This is but an approximate quote, but it is one of my favorite quotes. I, being a scrivener, adore stories and think that they are truly the most necessary things that we need, besides breathing, of course. This might seem a bit overdrawn, but I don't. There can be nothing more necessary, but this is merely a love letter to such a profound part of our culture, that is all. I have no scribbles to produce today, just this. A mere poem, but is by far one of my favorite poems that I have read, next to Emily Dickinson's "Hope is a thing with feathers" that is, 
but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Keep a sharp eye out for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment